Monday, March 7, 2011

Combination Screen - 3/5/2011 Results

Another decent week for the combination screen. Below are the results for all the current list that I am tracking. I have abandoned the short list until I can find criteria that are more correlated to the stock prices. In addition, the market is a tough one to short now...


1/31/2011 Portfolio


The original list. I kept only the top 10 stocks from the original list in the portfolio for multiple reasons - they perform much better than the entire list (a good reason) and second of all, I can't keep up with 30 to 40 names on all the portfolios. As I outlined when I started, I will rebalance the portfolios every 4 weeks meaning that some stocks will be sold and others added. This time, there was only one survivor - MRO. Here are the results for last week and since inception.




The original list is in yellow, the new one in blue. MRO is in blue only for last week as it is in both lists. Last week, the portfolio was up over 3% compared to 0.16% for the S&P500. Overall, the list is up 9% over the last 5 weeks compared to 3.13% for the broader market. Stocks are up on average 4.74% after I pick them and remember that for 9 of them, it's only for a week. So far, so good!


2/4/2011 Portfolio


This one had a positive week, but not as good as the original list.




Since inception, it is up over 1.5%, doubling the S&P500. Not great, but we'll take it.


2/11/2011 Portfolio


Same story for the following list. This one was created when the S&P500 was making new highs and the broader market is down since then. However, the portfolio is up which I guess is a good sign.




2/18/2011 Portfolio


This next portfolio suffers from the same problem. The S&P500 is down 1.5% since inception is the list is not immune although down only 0.22%.




This list is saved by one big winner though - PC Mall. 


2/25/2011 Portfolio


The latest list created only last week. Since it mirrors almost entirely the first portfolio (I used it to rebalance), the performance match what the first list did last week.




A big week nonetheless.


Overall, a pretty good week for all the lists as they all beat the broader market average. And all also beat over their lifetime. The challenge will be if we hit a correction. I will post an article about cash management based on the Charles Kirkpatrick book.



No comments:

Post a Comment